Sunday, December 18, 2005

Do unto others as you would have them do to you

I must learn to do unto others only what I would like them do to me.
Here's what I get when I don't.


Past midnight after work one day.
Very drained and zonked out.
Midly impatient that the cab I called still hasn't arrived after a good 10 mins wait.

When it finally came, I garnered my last ounce of strength to lug the laptop and the luggage of workpapers on the cab and slammed the door shut... albeit a little too loudly.

I don't like others to treat me as a punch bag and vent their anger or displeasure at me though it's no fault of mine, do I?

Clearly, the cab driver wasn't too pleased and reminded me in an admonishing tone, "xiao jie, this is an auto door, don't have to use so much force to close it"

Point taken.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me: Mumbled a quick apology.
Uncle, XXX place please.
Cab driver: The originally quite chirpy face turns a shade darker.

Oops. I get upset even when pple call me 'xiao jie' now and no longer 'xiao mei'. I shouldn't presume that all cab drivers are already Uncles. He looks slightly younger than the stereotype middle-age uncles. And the radio is tuned to Perfect 10. I gotta be more observant!

My fault
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In a bid to clear the slightly frosty air and do damage control, he doubled as a tourguide as we passed Mohammed Sultan- identifying all the clubs and pubs along the street.

I 'yeah, ya and oh' along. It isn't exactly a very nice feeling to relish, to see crowds of clubbers and party- goers have fun and unwind when I have been slogging at work at the client's place a few doors down these clubs.

Not daring to cut him off his enthusiastic rambling, I resorted to my most used tactic of whipping up the handphone to fend off any more conversation. Appeared to be fully focused on replying smses and answering a few phonecalls. Silence and peace ensued for a while.

Nearing my destination, i started giving him directions as to how to get to my place.
Me: 'Uncle, after the bus stop, chuan zuo' (Since the harm of calling him an uncle was already done, might as well continue right? Aniwei, how to address cab drivers other than uncles?Sir?)

Cab driver gets defensive: Why must you switch to Mandarin? You think all cab drivers can't understand English? We have to undergo training and speak proper English to passengers you know. Not Singlish like you were speaking to your friend over the phone just now. Btw, It's not ' I take already', its ' I took'.

What can I say? I got a taste of my own medicine.

For discourteously cutting him off with phonecalls and smsing.
For slipping into Singlish when I, condescendingly correct people's Singlish at other times.
For switching to Mandarin. I never liked it when friends/ colleague switch to English when I join the conversations- as if I can't hold a conversation in Mandarin. I should have known better than to do that. Bad bad move on my part.

Tsk. Shame on you, cranberry.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwww Cranberry, you can speak in Chinese or English to me anytime. I'm always flexible. However, if you want to brush up more on your Mandarin, I can make it a point to only speak to you in Mandarin.

-Miss Bilingual

18/12/05 2:02 PM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

Miss Billingual, ni hao!

I guess as an ardent spokesperson of the Hua Yu, Cool! campaign, i let my enthusiasm of the Chinese language get out of way and din know that the cab driver may not be as conversant in Mandarin as I'm.

You must have felt the pressure whenever I rattled off in Mandarin to you, I would definitely take note of that in the future and speak to you in English. Muahhhhh.

18/12/05 7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cranberry, I gotta say...I don't think you were wrong lei! It's just a product of a weary day and a defensive taxi driver with low self-esteem.

It's one thing correcting your friends' Singlish and another when your phone conversation is commented on by the taxi driver (whom you had "known" for less than 30 mins). Gosh, I would have been irritated if a stranger who shouldn't even have been listening to my conversation dared to comment on my grammar.

There's nothing wrong with giving him directions in Mandarin too!! Why would he automatically assume you thought he couldn't speak English? Maybe it's more natural for you to give directions in Mandarin?? My guess is that he had been introducing the clubs/pubs to you in English as well since he seems to pride himself on speaking English well.

Gosh, don't know if you're too nice or if I'm just feeling evil. But that taxi driver is lucky it wasn't me in his cab that night.

etan

18/12/05 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey babe!
hiya.. i have resorted to not talking to taxi drivers cos they always seem to irritate me! HAHA.
AT ALL.
Considering u were so tired, I think u did a good job in being 'nice' to him. I would have just been silent. HAHA
- purplefreak

18/12/05 10:43 PM  
Blogger Sunflower said...

Haha~ Yah lor, I think u r too nice to that taxi uncle oredi.. If it's me, I think I'd have argued back right at that auto door part.. So what if it's auto door? Cannot slam meh?? :p

19/12/05 10:16 PM  
Blogger eeky said...

hahaha.

the cleaning aunty in my office calls me...

xiao mei mei.

do i look that young?

hmmz. then again, in an office filled w ave age 50 yr old men, i sure am a stark contrast. ;)

19/12/05 10:33 PM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

Etan!! Whoa...wat a pleasant xmas surprise to see ur comment on my blog. *grinz*

And i guess u can say tt e defensive and low esteem cab driver met an equally low esteem passenger. Ha.

Purplefreak: You must teach me how u jus shut up and dun talk when they keep tryin to elicit a response?
Haiz,no cute guys keep talking to me only cab drivers. So sad. Sob sob;)

Sunflower: Not tt i'm nice. Just cowardly. Cos i needed a receipt*blush* What if he dun give me the receipt if i had argued with him? I wish I am as brave as you sometimes:P


eeky: yes, yes. You are the rose among the thorns. *Rolls eyes* haha...

20/12/05 12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh girl i met cute taxi driver before leh! And I called him uncle then I realised he was prob only in his late twenties and GOOD looking. hurhur.So must open your eyes! HAHA- purplefreak.

21/12/05 11:29 AM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

Really purplefreak? You don't give me false hopes about cab drivers being young and cute k:P...i must manage expectations. Hahaha.

26/12/05 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home