Saturday, July 22, 2006

Same ol' places

Best fren and I have been promising to bring each other to some unique restaurants around Singapore that we've discovered with other frens, tried and really liked - be it for the good food, quiet ambience or sometimes, the atas factor:P

This, despite the fact- that we never make it to these places together. Nor manage to bring best fren 2 to these places when she's back. Instead, whenever we meet, we end up plonking ourselves in unadventurous cafes or any convenient eating places away from the crowds and not budging from the place for hours once we are settled in.



...
For those in the know, I have had to double up as a tourguide of sorts the past few wks- to bring my teamates around Singapore. And earnest/anxious for them to have a good impression of Singapore, i've been trying to recommend and bring them to restaurants with the nicest ambience, bars with the best drinks and live music, clubs with the most happening crowd and of course sedap food all around town. Because surely, award-winning, pricey, exclusive equals impressed, satisfied, happy?

But after the past few weeks, I've realised that for all the glam factor (though definitely not on the pocket), nothing beats my exhilaration when Friday nights comes and the weekend beckons...

Where the meeting time are not confirmed
Where msges are furiously exchanged last minute to change venues and announce late arrivals
Where greasy food's forgiven cos there's too much to catch up, whine, complain, reminisce and imagine
Where sentences peppered with ehs, lahs and can can are effortlessly spouted and understood
Where...
I'm meeting my old friends.

So, for me at least,
It's not about having a whole slate of activities- half the time, we end up only chatting and nothing else. No movies. No sentosa. No night safari.
It's not about the posh places, exquisite food, vintage wines or colourful cocktails.
No iggy, xi yan, mezzanine or sangria.

It's simply, the company and familiarity.

It's the weekend once again. Smile:)

9 Comments:

Blogger Sunflower said...

I like this one! The company and familiarity.. :) I hope the ulu cafe we are going tml can make it to the "unique restaurants, quiet ambience" list! You know lah, I always got this tendency to bring u pple to quiet restaurants with only us.. But don't worry, this cafe we are going has been around since my JC days, so it must be quite good to survive for so long in such an ulu place! :p

22/7/06 5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my sentiments exactly.
it got a bit disturbing to me why i never exactly blogged whenever I met you, (cos of those familiar and uninteresting places we kept going to)
so your post articulated my thoughts perfectly.
-bestfren1

22/7/06 9:26 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Yeah.. it's always the company that makes the place..

Glad to have ya.... for the whiff of familiarity that i'll be looking forward to.. this weekend...

And yes.. distance, food and perfect service.. will not matter no more.. the joy of close friends!! *hugz*

23/7/06 1:40 AM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

best fren: No need to feel disturbed and ponder too much about it. I guess we have diff frens whom we go diff places/ do diff activities with:) And haha...i've still yet to go to tt greek restaurant, n u havent been to e tapas bar so...:P

Sunflower & maddy: Can't wait to meet you'll. We've build up quite a no. of quiet places we go to, havent we?

23/7/06 8:46 AM  
Blogger eeky said...

hey hey! good restaurant never ask me. :P after all, i was in the line huh? anyway, just to let u know, the turf city there extending the 50% seafood discount on wkdays. 20% off on wkends.

ah yat's the best of the 3 restaurants. it's not the best cooking ard, but for that price, hey, nth to complain. :)

23/7/06 9:56 PM  
Blogger eeky said...

where art my fren?

30/7/06 10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ho ho . like beautiful people saying: looks don't matter it's the personality/heart. heheh you're atas already just don't forget us when you see us slurping noodles at the hawker center.

5/8/06 3:14 AM  
Blogger eeky said...

oh where oh where is my fren?

9/8/06 12:58 AM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

eeky: Dun miss me so much leh! I'm shy!


WL: U've made it to the list! Thx for being the absolutely atas company the times we met n the precious few minutes you squeezed out to talk to me. haha.

9/8/06 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home