Saturday, January 14, 2006

Full Circle



Once, eating porridge was a torturous affair.
It looked like curd.
It tasted like coagulated retch.
It was either too thick or too watery. Too hot or too cold. Too salty or too bland.
The perfect food to induce puke and tears as i coerced it down.
Meant for the sick, it made me sick downing it.
I agonised trying to force it down. Adults antagonised trying to force it down me.

For a good ten years after those nursery days where porridge was the staple food for meals, I stayed clear of it, avoiding it at all cause.

Never would I have thought I would come back to embrace it in such a big way now.
To queue for hours to relish a bowl of this tradition.
To take in the subtle whiff when its served
To savour the silky gruel running down the throat
To be soothed and calmed from the wet and the rain by its warmth
To be nourished by something so simple

Taste and perspective.
How they permutate, change and switch sides.
How they can reconcile differences at times and yet fuel the differences to tear it all apart at others
How they can make one swoon and fall head over heels one moment and run away in disgust the next

I so like to rush things sometimes.
To talk myself into embracing something/someone.
Tricking myself to resent some other things/people.

Everything in its time. God makes sure of that.
I just need to take one step at a time.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WAAAHH what a comparison. Food and life.
oh man. I think ur writing style is evolving.
- best fren

14/1/06 8:23 AM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

Thanks babe for the constant encouragement. It's another workweek. Fix our eyes on Him always!

16/1/06 7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Superstar 2. I still hate porridge! I must say you write so well in English! Stick to what you're good at and ditch those fantasies of writing in Chinese.

16/1/06 11:27 AM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

Superstar 1! Can you pls go have a good bowl of Chinese porridge and ditch those western fusions of congee? Haha.

I'm sure u'll fall for it! Or else, when u come back, i'll bring u around to try!

16/1/06 10:25 PM  
Blogger eeky said...

i don't know how true this is, but they say, in Japan, porridge is really served to the sick.

they don't eat porridge except when they are sick too! unless of course, they are in some chinese restaurant also lah.

but in general, they only eat porridge when they are ill.

i think my brain needs some porridge.

speaks volumes huh? ;)

17/1/06 1:34 AM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

Well, there may be some truth there. I think i'm quite sick in some sense:P...and through this time, porridge really soothes. Try it and let me know? Haha...tke care, eeky

17/1/06 9:14 AM  
Blogger eeky said...

eh foodie! tell me where to find good high-tea buffet for weekends. the cakey kind. my mom's fren fr japan coming down. then she requested to try.

17/1/06 11:19 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

I'm looking more and more forward to read your posts nowadays.. Great style of presenting... esp with food!.. hee hee.. juz kidding!

But the pics look super good! Do include more pics in future k..

Porridge.. for me it's a love hate thing... love only when I need it! or it's from that Macpherson porridge store!! They have quite a few outlets i think.. there's one at chomp chomp..

21/1/06 10:09 PM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

Eeky: Sorry tt food guide aka me din chk on my blog for a few days. Hope u fd somewhere good. Tell me abt it ya?

Maddy: I haven't heard abt the McPherson porridge. But actually, i'm not v adventurous when it comes to porridge cos if its not done well, it really makes me wanna puke. Hee.

21/1/06 11:29 PM  
Blogger eeky said...

we went to straits kitchen, grand hyatt in the end. cos got jap guests mah. then good place to intro s'pore food. but i dunno if it was worth it. sure cost hell of a lot to eat things like laksa, chicken rice, char kway teow and those s'pore faves. but then, dunno lah. the food was not bad. :)

23/1/06 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home