Thursday, August 25, 2005

Kindness doesn't pay

I saw the thick wads of surveys those interviewers were laden under
I saw how they are snubbed and shunned by others curtly
I saw the looks of disappointment and rejection in their eyes
And I decided to help them out this once
So instead of accelerating and using my bags and acquisitions (hee:P) to shield me from them like I usually do
I slowed down and agreed to be surveyed

Interviewer: Thank you , m'dam for your time.
Me: Was a tad bristled by the overzealous 'm'dam' greeting from the auntie but i let it pass and dutifully furnished her with some personal particulars

Interviewer: And you are 25 rite?
Me: Shakes head. Yay! Too young-->Underaged--> That's me:P.
Hee, havent had that for a long time. A gleeful smile appears subconsciously.

Interviewer: Not 25? She peered up and raised her eyebrows quizzically. She runs a check on me and emphatically gestured with her fingers. Two- Five.

Did I look as if I dun understand simple Chinese?
And 25 yrs is abt 700 days off-mark. Ok fine, perhaps I'm too sensitive. But hey, using what we've learnt in sch, +/- 5% , it's still highly significant!!
Miffed, I started to walk away, ticking myself off for being so helpful.

And then i heard her pattering footsteps behind me.
'Excuse me, excuse me. U are 26? 27? 28? Still can do the survey.'

Her shrill voice pierced through from one end of Taka where she was standing to the other end where I was.

Right...
Kindness doesn't pay...sometimes.

11 Comments:

Blogger eeky said...

hahaha. auntie.

when i first entered the co, my colleague asked me how old i was. 26? 27?

when i told him, he raised a quizzical eyebrow and said, "so young ah?" -_-

but nvm lah, i'm used to it already. i know i look cao lao. back in sec skoo, ppl were askg if i were in uni. :|

25/8/05 2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hiya pls lah.. u dun look 25 lor! not a bit! wait till u start work then u'll the newsets meat in the office... then u'll REALLY feel young! - purplefreak

25/8/05 6:55 PM  
Blogger Sunflower said...

Hahaha~ you sure or not?? You look 25?? Think there must be something worong with that auntie's eyes or judgment lor!! Don't worry lah, you look 22 to me!! :)

25/8/05 9:10 PM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

eeky: tt's cause of ur height more than anything else. Aniwei, ur haircut's refreshin to minus of at least 2 yrs.:)

purplefreak: ha, thks. but i dun think so cos grads fr the other uni wld be younger. But aniwei, yeah, i'll treasure e 'youngest at work' thing while it lasts

jannie: muahhhs...See, u make a better interviewer than tt auntie anytime. As if 25 not enuff, she still contd her upward guessing leh. Best.

26/8/05 6:53 AM  
Blogger NA said...

Hey! My friend had a similar experience. The guy doing the survey was asking her the same thing: if she was 26, 27, still can do the survey right?

They should teach tact as part of the training, man.

And you don't look 25! You don't look a day over your age. ;)

26/8/05 3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that sucks big time but u dun look old lor.. ignore that person man.. must be near-sightedness -qi-

26/8/05 6:56 PM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

NA: Ya man, they really shd. But i guess they were quite desperate for pple in tt age grp to be surveyed. And thx for e consolation.:)

Qi: Hey, exactly. How can they mistake me to be 25 when i still suffer from breakout and had a pimple rite?*roll eyes* :P

27/8/05 12:00 AM  
Blogger eeky said...

haha. erm, the point of pimple breakouts ah, i think, age not v relevant lah.

u see a lot of men not young already (like mark lee) still got breakouts. and i got 1 colleague, female, ard 40, also a lot of pimples on face one.

hee hee hee.

but yah lah, cranberry look v young and funky lah. some more ur haircut also. :P

27/8/05 7:43 PM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

eeky: Haiz. You dashed my last ray of hope tt breakouts and youth are correlated. Sobz.

And for e 2nd part of ur comment, I din bribe you to say wat u said k:P... So PR. Can consider taking on a HR job alrdy:)

28/8/05 9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...that auntie is such a meanie!!!! U have a new hair style?? Really hafen seen u for ages!!!! Put a pic of urself on msn la...dun put those yummie food le...making me hungry each time i see it :P
~Kazzie~

3/9/05 8:25 AM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

Hullo Kazzie...nice to see you here:)

Hee, i snipped my hair short, but its not new lah.Prob the hairstyle you'll were used to (sick of)in JC. And when i look as delicious as my fd pics, i'd put my own photos up on MSN ;)

Yes,pls date me when u r back in Dec k? Hang in there for e last sem!

3/9/05 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home