Sunday, February 20, 2005

My Exs

I got reacquainted with an ex recently - after a lengthy separation and much reluctance on my part- for fear of being reminded of past disappointments and unsure of how I would react after a rather abrupt spiltting. Only the goal of fund-rasing for Europe pushed me on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The first touch was awkward and shaky, and I wanted out- for fear of the hurt, disappointments setting in again. But that restraint was soon melted and familiarity settled in. Memories of our time together- when I was joyous, sad, angry, in grief, misunderstood. The companion who had stood by me through my scherzos, etudes, waltzes, and grave; scaling the heights and enduring the challenges and trials with me, moulding me to be determined, conscientious, tenacious and confident. With and because of you- I have emerged victorious many a times. But all it took was a few setbacks and distractions, practicality and realism to unwind it all, for me to lose confidence in myself and my ability, for the interest to wane and for ties to be severed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's good to be back again- to realise that some feelings don't change no matter how long it has been. Am glad you found me- keep me this time pls?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The festive season the past two weeks was a catching up time with lots of ex-s from the past- friends/classmates/pastimes/hobbies- many of whom/which I haven't met up/kept in touch for eons. Doubt and apprehension clouded my mind before each reaquaintance - what can we talk about? can we still click? how have we all changed?
Thankfully, the worries are uncalled for. It had been a good old ride down memory lane filled with much joy and laughter, peppered here and there with tinges of longing and regret. It's amazing how memories of the time and experiences we shared have not ebb over time but instead developed into a chemistry and understanding that allowed us to pick up from where we have left off so long ago and just continue to connect effortlessly.
Perhaps...I really need distance and breathing space to make the heart fonder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home