Saturday, October 25, 2008

Stay the same

Personally, I adhere to the - if it's aint broken, don't fix it theory - at the risk of sounding boring and belying the constant improvement and changes that are so endorsed in the real/working world.

Never been one big on adventure, discovery or stepping out of comfort zone- once I developed a liking /familiarity for something/someone , I would gladly stick to it faithfully- be it authors, clothes,shoe labels, food or friends.

Back in primary/ secondary school when I was still quite an ardent fan of reading - there will be such elation when upon liking a first book , know that the author has many other books in his/her name. So no points for guessing who my first favourite author was - it gotta be Enid Blyton, what with her sheer volume of books/series. Then i lapped up Babysitter's club. A lil older I was enthralled by Jeffrey Archer, Agatha Christie, Magaret Atwood all with at least 5titles under their belts. It went to the point where I would read a book only if I see that there were many other books under the author's name. Either that or if they came recommended by friends/ papers or if they won some kind of awards. Same for songs. Mariah Carey, Celine Dion and even Britney Spears. Luther Vandross , Damien Rice and lately Jason Mraz. So it was disappointing that Daniel Powter's Bad Day was a one song wonder.

This applies for food or shoes or even toiletries.

I guess while discovering how good/nice something/someone is may be exciting and rewarding,high returns come with high risk -what with the efforts , thoughts invested in organic nurturing of interest/chemistry etc and that is not what I think I am willing /capable to invest or have the energy/time for.

Trying a new brand and not knowing how it would react/the side-effects/ the chance of disliking it /wasting time and most of all it/ he/she falling short of expectations and disappointment are hard to bear.

So the irony is that it's staring at me in the face right now in this foreign place- of trial and error,finding out new stuff, and most of all , building up relationships with new friends. While people have coax or try to convince me that I would change personality/ taste/have whole new circle of frens etc,I don't think I would honestly.
I think I am rusty ,too old for it and grudging. ...but well we'll see. Hopefully there will be one or two pleasant surprises along the way.


Anw - here's my current fave song from Jason Mraz which started with Pls Don't Tell Her--> I'm Yours and now this amongst others.


5 Comments:

Blogger Sunflower said...

Hey babe! I get what you mean.. Guess as we grow older, it's just harder for us to adapt to change or be more spontaneous or adventurous.. don't force yourself if you don't like it.. just let things happen naturally.. :)

2 more weeks and we will be meeting in HK! :)

25/10/08 3:43 PM  
Blogger J said...

whoa! so hi-tech! u actually know how to put up audio streaming clips. i'm impressed!!

27/10/08 6:01 PM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

JY: Oh only 2 wks more.Yes!Can't wait. I have a few itineraries alrdy:P

J: Ya man. I erhm had to surf to find out how to do it.Glad you noticed. hurhurhur.

27/10/08 10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey gaL!

u still blog!!

haha. the song... u tryg to say sth? :P u coming back anytime soon?

22/11/08 10:38 PM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

Ya...once in a long long while i do try to though it feels quite different from previously. More whiny probably?

How've you been?

19/12/08 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home