Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Just Dance



Finally had the time to do some leisure reading this Christmas, amongst them, Haruki Murakami's Dance Dance Dance. This, contrary to widely acclaimed Norwegian Woods, garnered quite a number of bad reviews and bestfren knowing how abhorred I was by his overgenerous (I feel) sex scenes of the protagonist with just about every character in the book, has also taken pains to warn me of how warped this book is.
So I was pleasantly surprised that I actually enjoyed the book.
Perhaps because expectations were lowered. Partly, due to the sheer enjoyment of reading at my own time and pace, without the need to study/regurgitate/memorise the content. A fiction book nonetheless! Recapturing the joys of savouring each flip through the crisp pages, the mild sadness nearing the end of the book. Lovely:)

This time round, I suspect I've also become more acceptable of the incredulity of how he strings his plot/characters together. Was able to overlook that to appreciate his deep burrowing into the characters and sensitive nuanced portrayal of his characters. Stripped of the public sheen, glamour that we are so used to and familiar with. No in your face descriptions, no extreme emotions, just lots of sussing out of quirks, flaws, skeletons, convolutions and tricks of the mind and /or the heart that paints a far more realistic and surreal picture. (Guess credit should also go to translator Alfred Birnbaum for that)

"You gotta dance. Dance. As long as the music plays."
- Excerpt from Haruki Murakami, Dance, Dance,Dance

Takeaway from the book - no illusions. It's back to the grind of work real soon. Yelps!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No illusions?
Well, for me, the takeaway from the book was quite the opposite.

The place of illusions and how many things transcend the natural, because they lie in illusions.

How different!
-best fren

27/12/07 1:16 AM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

What I meant was that there were no sugarcoating to make certain characters more endearing & easy to interpret like some authors always do. The confusion,conflict & complexity of thoughts were deftly portrayed.

Anw, you were suppose to be sleeping by this time!!

27/12/07 8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...very cheem...dont think I really understood what you were saying.As you know, i dont really analyse the books that I read, I just read for the storyline:) Dont think i'll enjoy that book but I'm glad you liked it in the end:)

best fren2

27/12/07 9:45 AM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

Ha, I dun care, I demand an equal number of comments as bestfren1! *sulks*

But will bear you feedback in mind. May hav an entry on fd/cooking comin up. Stay tuned:)

1/1/08 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home