Tuesday, September 11, 2007

True to Heart


It used to be that:
- like it or hate it, a durian is defined by its full bodied pungent smell.
- Mooncakes are all double yolked with lotus seed fillings


Now comes,
The odourless durians
The sugarless, salted yolk substituted mooncakes.
New fillings - from healthy yoghurt and strawberries to decadent bird nest creme brulee and chocolate champagne truffles.

There used to be more of:
- I like X, I don't like XX
- I want Y , I don't want YY

Now, increasingly, it becomes :
- I don't mind XX
- I will try YY

Where personal judgement, preferences and opinions gets watered down, silenced and suppressed in a quest not to offend but to please others especially of supposed authority, seniority and success.
In a bid to fit those very hyped and 'in' jargons of today -being able to multitask, flex, stretch and adapt.

Definitely necessary and part and parcel of living a life that encompasses more than just oneself.
When, however, is it too much?

When trying to please and cater to a larger/mass audience means compromising one's own inclinations, and views.
When it insidiously takes a toil and causes someone/something to lose character and uniqueness- like the pungent smell of the durian, like the fiestiness of a person - be it gd or bad, welcomed or unwelcomed.

Staying true - the toughest act to follow...

3 Comments:

Blogger Sunflower said...

Wow~ I really love this post!! For I've fallen prey to the game of pretense.. Pretending to love my job to meet my bosses' expectations, pretending to be alright when it's obviously not right..

What is true? I seems to have lost the definition of it..

15/9/07 2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more, to fight against all this so called politically correct situation..

To disguise our real needs and to conquer all fears and be the last man standing...

We tend to forget about what's true at times.. and confuse ourselves.. hoping we don't lose sight of our own heart's calling...

Yours Truly,
Maddy

16/9/07 12:55 AM  
Blogger Cranberrymist said...

Hello babes,thanks for your comments! - and for being there so we can all shed our pretenses or watever when we meet and talk. Cant wait for next meeting. See you two soon:)

17/9/07 7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home